[TYPO3-doc] Changing labels

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sat Mar 16 17:32:22 CET 2013

Hi all,

One of the big advantages we discussed with ReST is the ability to
cross-link using unchanging labels and Intersphinx. But there might be
situations when changing a label would be needed and we should discuss
how to handle that.

My current case is in Core API where I had a label such as
"_useful-t3lib-befunc" attached to a section entitled "t3lib_BEfunc".
That section will now be entitled
"\TYPO3\CMS\Backend\Utility\BackendUtility" and it seems weird to leave
the label unchanged.

In this particular case, it was probably not linked to yet and we can
probably safely rename the label, but this may not always be the case
and changing labels breaks the stability of links we long for. What's
your opinion about how we should handle that?