[TYPO3-doc] PDF rendering

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sun Jun 23 19:05:20 CEST 2013

Hi,

> On the other hand one may want to use rst2pdf instead, and in fact, it
> could be an interesting alternative for people not wanting to install a
> full LaTeX stack on their system. I did not yet investigate much more
> (except installing it once globally on my system and running it once to
> see that the output was by far not as good as with LaTeX) but anyway, I
> suspect it could run in a "sandbox" and thus be installed by EXT:sphinx
> the same way I currently set up the local environment for Sphinx without
> requiring anything else than Python:
>
> http://forge.typo3.org/issues/49341

I did a first attempt and basically it "works":

https://review.typo3.org/#/c/21619/1

But in some cases, the "pdf" builder is not seen by Sphinx, the
rendering of images is far too small (may be related to the DPI
setting). So it's in Gerrit if one wants to have a look in the mean
time. As said, this is not on my top priority list anyway.

Note 1: in EM you need to download any version of Sphinx in order to
download additional packages as well (rst2pdf and Python Imaging
Library) and then simply rebuild your current Sphinx version (let's say
you use 1.2b1, download e.g., 1.1.3 and rebuild 1.2b1 as additional
packages are then downloaded. After that you may "remove" 1.1.3 with the
corresponding button).

Note 2: the conf.py needs to be adapted to use rst2pdf. With the patch
this is done automatically for new projects (and extension manuals using
the Sphinx Documentation Viewer). But for existing projects you created
with the Sphinx Wizard, you will have to adapt the corresponding conf.py
files (see templates coming with this extension if needed).

Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org