[TYPO3-doc] Encouraging people to contribute with Github

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Mon Feb 25 10:28:42 CET 2013

Hey Jigal,

On 25.02.2013, at 10:13, Jigal van Hemert <jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org> wrote:

>> The same goes also for SourceForge (http://geeknetmedia.com/).
>
> And your point is?

Sorry, I would have had to write a few more to make it clear. My point is that we relied on SourceForge for several years as our main repository. While we did face downtimes, we never had license issues with them.

Downtimes are always possible, also with Github of course. But then again, even hosting git repositories yourself doesn't save you from that.

>> If Github gave up Open Source free accounts (which would be stupid because they rely
>> on Open Source projects making them attractive) all we'd lose is the configuration of the
>> workflow.
>
> Plus a new workflow would need to be created. It's also not only about GitHub giving up free accounts, but also in case of downtime problems: they will most likely give priority to paid accounts.
>
>> Don't you think that these projects should be scared, too?
>
> That's a non-argument; it's something like "my neighbour jumps in the water, so I jump in too".
>
>> Or to put it differently: we haven't really had license problems with TYPO3 in the past 10 years and
>> therefor I suggest to concentrate on solutions rather than potential problems.
>
> It's better to think about potential problems and try to have solutions ready instead of just waiting for them to happen.
>
> By the way, I fail to see that GitHub is a solution for any concrete problem. Despite the fact that you don't want to look at problems with using GitHub, I see concrete problems in the workflow (see my post in this thread) for which I don't see solutions.

That's only fair, I guess we disagree on this point then.

Cheers,
Robert

--
Robert Lemke
Lead Developer TYPO3 Neos and TYPO3 Flow

Blog: robertlemke.com/blog
Get involved: typo3.org – flow.typo3.org – neos.typo3.org