[TYPO3-doc] Translating documentation

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sun Feb 17 13:48:57 CET 2013

Hi,

As you may know, I'm not an active contributor of the documentation
project itself but I worked on related topics either for TYPO3 itself or
for my own needs.

Since I started to work with reST and Pootle, I tried to figure out how
one may use Pootle (which is used to translate labels for Core and
extensions) to translate reST documentation as well.

I did not do the exercise just for fun but did it for a real project. I
summarize my thoughts after quite some months of "production" to help
you figure out how you should think of translating reST documentation
yourself, if needed:

http://wiki.typo3.org/Localization_%28reST%29

Please feel free to comment here or enhance my thoughts right into the wiki.

I take the opportunity to point out another wiki page which may interest
you, namely how to integrate a reST documentation into a website. The
documentation team took one approach for typo3.org, but they are a few
different ways and I summarize them on this page:

http://wiki.typo3.org/Tips_and_Tricks_%28reST%29

As a work in progress and as a real-life example, this link shows a
multilingual reST documentation embedded into a TYPO3 website:
https://manuals.lionsbase.org by using the "restdoc" extension (sent a
new version to TER yesterday and already thinking of new features such
as "general index" and "search" to be embedded as well, monitor the
corresponding Forge project if you are interested).

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6