[TYPO3-doc] Lyx as WYSIWYG for RestructuredText

Elmar Hinz t3elmar at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 25 15:59:56 CEST 2013

Hello,

RestructuredText is a markup language designed to be human readable and writeable.
Nonetheless it would be interesting to have a WYSIWYG editor to write the documentation,
like we had OpenOffice in the past.

Today I did a little reviewing of LyX.  It should be possible to define a set of TEX tags,
that match with the elements of RT markup. Having this tags it should be easy to write
an exporter to RT.

It may sound like the wrong direction to use TEX to generate RT.
In fact it is the wrong direction. Usually you process RT to TEX to get the
documents printed in a professional quality.

However it would be an approch to get a stable, flexible WYSIWIG editor for writing
TYPO3 documentation.

Not that I suggest to start this immediatly. It's just some thoughts of what is in the
range of real world solutions.

Regards

Elmar