[TYPO3-doc] Standalone Sphinx

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Apr 17 12:45:05 CEST 2013

Hi,

For your information, I tried to install Sphinx as "standalone". I
prototyped a TYPO3 extension that requires "python" on the server
(should be available anyway) and then downloads, builds and install
Sphinx 1.1.3 locally, within Resources/Private.

I tried on my MBP and on a remote system running Ubuntu, both work.

I could not run sphinx-quickstart as it seems it cannot be scripted with
all parameters but I manually created a test documentation and then
could compile it from my TYPO3 Backend and my "local" install of Sphinx.

This is really a prototype but I guess this could be really interesting,
isn't it? Think of allowing extension documentation to be compiled on
the fly and shown in Backend (I have a working prototype for this
latter), or a "console" in the Backend to work on ReST.

What do you think?

Next step would be to make it clean, allow any version of Sphinx to be
installed and to integrate official TYPO3 Sphinx scripts for best output.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6