[TYPO3-doc] commenting systems

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Fri Apr 12 16:14:40 CEST 2013

Hi,

Elmar Hinz wrote:
>> Sure, but the current setup doesn't use TYPO3. We generate HTML pages
>> from ReST and serve them as is. The idea - at least so far - is to
>> keep it this way and augment the pages with AJAX-powered features.
>
> Setting aside AJAX, TypoScript and other technologies for a moment.
> Comments on the docs don't  happen that often. There is no big need for
> a very dynamic solution. Comments could be part of the static HTML, that
> is shipped. It's only required to update the single page in the rare
> cases a new comment comes in.
> How that is technically done, is a second question. Because it doesn't
> happen often for docs, it's not the bottleneck for performance.

For sure integrating static comments is feasible but the process
described by Francois is basically this one:

$ cd /path/to/documentation
$ make html

This produces a set of static HTML pages with assets (images, ...) in a
build/ directory

Custom templates (= layouts) have been created to match the "TYPO3
branding" (header, logo, ...)

This content is then published to the website. So there is no
post-processing or whatever, this is purely static and as such extremely
efficient.

Adding comments based on AJAX (such as disqus) would be just a matter of
adding the JS snippet to the custom templates, with a marker (=ID) to
know which doc it is, and that's it!

Any other processing is feasible of course, but requires much more work
for something that is not yet largely working, current setup is still
relatively experimental in the sense that many parts are not yet
bullet-proof, triggered automatically, properly documented in order for
extension authors being able to take advantage of it, etc.

As such, I'd propose to first try to make current solution really
working and only *then* think of new features such as commenting systems
and the rest.

Just by 2c

--
Xavier Perseguers