[TYPO3-doc] Documentation servers

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Fri Sep 28 19:28:23 CEST 2012

Hi François,

François Suter wrote:

> The disadvantage, of course, is that srv123 needs to post its stuff to
> srv130 after rendering. We need a way to make that efficient. I would
> say rsync should be quite fine for such a job.

I think so too. Especially for one way jobs, there is nothing better out
there.

> We also need to consider database issues. We plan to have the FLOW3
> application that coordinates the whole show create database entries for
> each manual/version/language combo. If the rendering happens on srv123
> that entry will be created there, but srv130 needs to be aware of it
> too. There are several solutions:

The question is more if we want to serve static html pages or if we want to
import the rending into a Flow3 (I am waiting for the new marketing name ...
Flow or FLOW I guess) instance.

I - personally -  would prefer to render static HTML pages and enrich the
documents with comments via AJAX. The downside of this approach is, that we
will need to heavily customize the sphinx theme.
Using a Flow3 Instance would allow us to pretty much use the default Json
template and use Flow3 to generate the markup around it. I wonder how it
deals with moved chapters/content (in terms of comments, etc) then.

> - use the same DB (e.g. srv123 accesses the DB on srv130)
> - use MySQL's replication tools (which may be tricky if srv130 starts
> collecting data too in the future, for example comments)
> - have some form of messaging for one server to inform the other.

If we need two Flow3 instances, I would go for a setup (I am not a MySQL
expert, thus I do not know what is possible) that uses a read-only slave for
the rendering server and delegates all writes to the master server.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!