[TYPO3-doc] Handling of translations for official manuals

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Sep 28 11:59:12 CEST 2012

Hi all,

We had several discussions about how to handle translations of official
manuals, about different aspects of that. I wanted to summarize all this
and clear the still open questions.

- as far as working with ReST is concerned, translations are handled
like any other manuals. I have checked with Xavier, who made tests with
Pootle, but it's really not appropriate to use for long manuals.

- sticking to our usual working process means that each translation will
have its own Git repository. Questions:

-- naming convention of the repository. Consider
Documentation/TYPO3/Tutorial/GettingStarted.git. What would the Dutch
translation be named?

Documentation/TYPO3/Tutorial/GettingStarted-nl_NL.git?
Documentation/TYPO3/Tutorial/nl_NL/GettingStarted.git?
other suggestions?

I have no particular idea here. Note that we decided last month [1] to
use locales instead of 2-letter language codes.

-- what about the Forge project? Would the translation use the same
project as the original? Or a sub-project?

In this case, I would go for sub-projects.

- upon rendering, the translations will be in sub-folders of the
original, see minutes of last month's meeting [1] again.

Does that cover it? Please give your opinions on the above questions.

Note: I'm trying to finalize this, because Hans Olthoff recently
completed the translation of the Getting Started tutorial to Dutch. It's
still in OpenOffice format and I'm going to publish it as is, but then
it needs to be migrated to ReST too and should fit in the right structure.

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/team-docteam/wiki/2012-08-23