[TYPO3-doc] ReST migration: status update

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Sep 16 21:23:23 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Besides the meeting minutes of last month, here's a short summary of the
project status for the migration to ReST. I've recently tried to get an
overview of the whole project and to narrow down the tasks for the
upcoming weeks to the short term needs. Indeed we have a very clear
deadline ahead: the release of TYPO3 6.0, slated for October 24. At that
point, the updated documentation must be available online.

 From a technical point of view, we are not very far from this. Actually
the documentation can already get rendered on demand, so it's not really
an issues. The rendering toolchain is not yet fully automated, but we
could live with that. To get an idea of the open issues, take a look at
the dedicated project on Forge:

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/team-doc-infrastructure/issues

However there's a lot of work to do on the manuals themselves. The
conversion to ReST worked well and a lot of it could be automated, but
the manuals now need some human intelligence to take a look at them. I
have started doing this for the Core APIs, as an example, and it's a
pretty demanding task. I'll commit my changes when the first chapter is
done and it will make for a good example.

I have started writing down a list of tasks to perform for each manual
in the wiki:

http://wiki.typo3.org/DocTeam/Restructuring_migrated_manuals

Obviously we can make the documentation for TYPO3 6.0 available without
all these changes, but we should aim to make as much progress as possible.

Needless to say, all help is welcome (I'll prepare an official news
about that in the next few days).