[TYPO3-doc] License for official TYPO3 documentation, extensions and other stuff

Michael typo3ml at schams.net
Mon Oct 29 04:14:45 CET 2012

Hi,

As far as I know, all official TYPO3 documentation is licensed under
the OpenContent License [1][2] (please correct me if I am wrong). In
this regard, I have a few questions :-)

(1) I wonder, if there are any specific reasons for using this license,
maybe an executive decision at one point?

(2) *must* all official TYPO3 documentation use the OPL or can (for
example) one of the Creative Commons Licenses [3] be used?

(3) as an extension developer, can I choose to use a different license
than OPL and publish my manual at the TER? I understand that all
extensions published at the TER must be GPL, but what's about their
manuals? Or are manuals automatically included in this license (as the
"package" of an extension)?

(4) if someone wants to contribute to the TYPO3 project, e.g. podcasts,
videos, presentations, etc. (so, no PHP code and no documentation via
the Documentation Team), any recommendations/suggestions/policies which
license to use, so it does not clash with any of the TYPO3 Association's
rules?

The statements at the official TYPO3 website [4] do not cover
"non-technical" stuff such as documentation from my perspective.

Thanks for any feedback.
Cheers, Michael

[1] http://opencontent.org/opl.shtml
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Content_License