[TYPO3-doc] Status of the Template Building Tutorial

Peta Pico petapico at hotmail.de
Sun Nov 25 17:45:05 CET 2012

Hello community,

the documentation team wanted to replace the existing tutorial (http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/tutorials/doc_tut_templselect/current/) and has created a new one (http://wiki.typo3.org/Template_Building_Tutorial). We made some usability tests and want to inform you about the results and to ask for some feedback.

At first we want to say “Thank you!“ to all contributors! Without your efforts the new tutorial would not exist!

So, the tutorial was tested by two probands (TYPO3-Newbies, familiar with computers, English and HTML and with a clear demand for a web content management system like TYPO3).

Both failed to enter the backend, installing the extension for this tutorial (note that this extension currently does not exist) and uploading any of the needed files.

They were able to create pages and the TS-template. Both said that there is too much information before the tasks. This could be placed in a separate section. Mostly the text and the images are clear and understandable but sometimes there is a translation problem (German English). The text should be cut in smaller topics with a strict structure (topic name, aim, tasks, result). E.g.:

- Topic name: Creating a simple navigation.
- Aim: Create a simple navigation
- Task: Click on Button template
- Result: Now you see a simple navigation

During modifying the HTML-file an editor is needed. One proband criticized that this information must be shown before the task (e.g. preparation). In combination with the introduction package we suggested to install, the new HTML-template of course does not work. We do not show how to active the new template.

Our questions to you:
- What is the desired audience (beginners or intermediates)?
- What kind of additional value we expected from the introduction package?
- Which information must be added in the section „Preparation“ (editor, cross reference to other tutorials, etc.)?
- …?

We would be glad if you give us some feedback!

Best regards
Christian (petapico).