[TYPO3-doc] Requesting budgets or not?

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu May 3 21:58:20 CEST 2012

Hi all,

For 2011 I made two budgets requests for the Documentation Team, which
were granted. One was for documentation maintenance and one for
migration to DocBook (which became migration to reST).

For 2012 I didn't renew those budget requests, because they cause
additional administrative work for me and the fact of having a budget
caused a variety of reactions from the beneficiaries ranging from
enthusiasm to rejection.

IIRC correctly from other year, the TYPO3 Association will soon announce
the deadlines for submitting budget requests for 2013. Thus I wanted to
have a discussion here about budgets, more specifically how you feel
about them?

My personal opinion is that budgets for big projects (like the reST
migration) are really good, as they allow people (like Martin Bless
currently) to spend more time on the project, thus making progress
faster. If we had such a big project again in the pipeline I wouldn't
hesitate to make a budget request for it.

For the maintenance work, I'm hesitant. I felt that it was good to be
abel to reward people for their work. The money did not cover the whole
work involved. It was not meant to be, as it would have made the budget
too important and - being an open source project - most contributions
are still expected to be on a voluntary basis. However it felt rather
right to me to be able to offer some small reward to the most active
contributors, as a token of gratitude for their efforts, hopefully
encouraging them to continue contributing in the future.

I would very much like to have your opinion(s) on the topic.

Furthermore if one of you has an idea where a budget might be
appropriate, please make it known.