[TYPO3-doc] [reST migration] Getting rid of tables for displaying references

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Mar 30 11:50:14 CEST 2012

Hi all,

While brainstorming about the migration to reST, one particular point
came up.

Until now we have been using tables to present lists of properties, with
their name, type, description, etc., each in one column. This makes for
a very compact layout, but not very readable since each column is rather
narrow (and adding columns would make each even narrower). Long
descriptions and code samples often end up as long strips of text.

It would seem like a good idea to replace such tables with text
sections, just like chapters. To have an idea how this could be
structured, look at the "solr" extension documentation, which does it
this way: http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-solr/wiki/Tx_solr

This would have other advantages, beyond improved readability:

- it would enable us to add information like "Since" and "Removed",
which we didn't really know where to put until now (adding columns would
have made them narrower)
- code examples could be longer
- it's actually easier to migrate to reST with such a structure, as we
wouldn't need the "field-list-table" directive which Martin implemented
for this project, but which is probably isn't going to make into the
docutils core soon.

Personally I think this would really be an improvement, even if it means
having a less compact documentation.

What's your opinion?