[TYPO3-doc] Linking ReST manuals from Extensions into the TYPO3 Core

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Jun 24 18:52:26 CEST 2012

Hi Benni,

I can only support all that Philipp said :-)

> So, what I'd like to have is some kind of link from the TYPO3 Core (all
> the way down to4.5)  to this unstyled file, if it exists, or to a pdf if
> the PDF file exists. My question is: What are your plans for the
> extension documentation? The idea that a PDF or HTML version is created
> every time an extension is updated in the TER? That you can trigger the
> creation from withinT3?
> And to which rendered version should be linked in the Extension Manager?
> The latter change we could easily integrate in the Core (once we know
> and agree on what to do).

It's indeed still an open question about what to do from the TER and the
EM. Linking to the new docs site is quite obvious. The idea about
linking to the raw reST file is a new one, but is a good one to provide
a fallback. Another possibility could be to have a function in the EM to
download the PDFs of all installed extensions for example.

We would be able to migrate all system extension manuals to reST already
now, but we haven't really talked about it yet, in particular what
changes to propose for the EM.