[TYPO3-doc] After the T3DD12: The plan for the URLs - please check!

Martin Bless m.bless at gmx.de
Tue Apr 17 23:01:06 CEST 2012

Hello everybody,
hi François,

I hope you're all having a good time.

Note::

   This is a Request For Comments (RFC):
   If you have comments please let us know.
   NOW IS THE TIME!

==============================
T3DD12
==============================

The devdays have been very encouraging I would say. We got lots of
positive feedback, ran into open doors everywhere, got some people
going and had fruitful discussions. :-)

==============================
Naming
==============================

The naming issue became very easy to solve once we found out that we
have to look at it from a different perspective: The URLs are of first
priority and not some internal keys. So this is what we discussed and
agreed on:

The general scheme is:

{server} {product} {manual name} {language} {version}

Examples:

http://srv123.typo3.org /TYPO3/typoscript-reference/
http://srv123.typo3.org /TYPO3/typoscript-reference/4.4/
http://srv123.typo3.org /TYPO3/typoscript-reference/ru/4.5/
http://srv123.typo3.org /TYPO3/typoscript-reference/en_gb/4.5/
http://srv123.typo3.org /TYPO3/typoscript-reference/en_us/4.5/
http://srv123.typo3.org /TYPO3/security-guide/
http://srv123.typo3.org /TYPO3/security-tutorial/
http://srv123.typo3.org /TYPO3/extensions/
http://srv123.typo3.org /FLOW3/the-ultimative-guide-to-flow3/
http://srv123.typo3.org /PHOENIX/typoscript-reference/1.0/
http://srv123.typo3.org /TYPO3/documentation-template

We should be understandable to everyone as much as possible. So we
should avoid developer insider jargon in the URLs.

We'll be starting with a server name that clearly indicates that its
a temporary solution. Currently we have "srv123.typo3.org". The more
I think about it I find "preliminary" much clearer:
   http://preliminary.docs.typo3.org/

This would point out very clear that its a preliminary
version and teaches at the same time that the final version will be
   http://docs.typo3.org/

"TYPO3" as top level brand is represented by the domain name
"typo3.org".

Then its the product that follows: TYPO3, FLOW3, PHOENIX or whatever
there may be.

Everything after the product in the URL will be lower case only.