[TYPO3-doc] [reST migration] A solution for extension manuals?

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Tue Apr 10 08:58:13 CEST 2012

Hi Oliver,

> I've been putting off documenting my first extension in the hopes that
> there will soon be a TYPO3 extension documentation standard based on
> reST. With all the great markup tools we got used to, using OO to write
> documentation just feels wrong. The sooner this happens, the better for
> everyone. That .sxw business is just not fun :(

Although I agree with Francois, that we will (hopefully) support .swx
documents at least for a transition phase, I do think that having
documentation at all is more important the actual format.

For the meantime, you can just use ReST and use rst2odt to convert it to
.odt files. Then just convert it to .swx. It is perfectly fine to have more
files in the doc/ or Documentation/ folder. The current parser just ignores
unknown files and so will (most likely) the new parser.
Many current extensions have a manual.swx, and manual.txt (for versioning)
and a manual.pdf inside doc/.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!