[TYPO3-doc] [reST migration] A solution for extension manuals?

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Apr 6 12:18:05 CEST 2012

Hi all,

As we follow the birth pains of the new typo3.org, it becomes quite
obvious that the old way of rendering manuals is far from ideal and
various teams are getting eager about the move to reST being completed.
Hopefully this can give us additional resources ;-)

Anyway we have been talking mostly about migrating the official
documentation, but the topic of extensions must be tackled. Until
recently we had no good solutions and it's a discussion that we
postponed several times already.

However given the recent progress that Martin made, I think the
situation is looking better than ever. Martin has managed to produce
very high quality reST output from existing OO manuals. Not perfect, but
very good. This could mean that we could include extension manuals in
the rendering pipeline even if they are still in OO format. There would
just one additional step of converting from OO to reST. The drawback for
the extension author would be that his/her manual appears maybe buggy in
some places, but at least we could make the transition very smooth for
extensions authors in this way.

Martin, does that sound realistic?

Note: I'm not talking about the rendering pipeline and its automation
here, just the ability to handle input in OO format so simplify things
and get started more quickly.