[TYPO3-doc] Experiences with ReSTructured Text

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Sep 12 21:58:00 CEST 2011

Hi people,

> as you might have heard, we (the FLOW3 / Phoenix team) have tried out
> ReSTructured text as a documentation format. In this (long) posting, I
> want to share my experiences with you.

We have reached decision time.

As I mentioned a while ago, although we had already made quite some
progress towards the migration to DocBook, it's also not too late to
change our minds.

Going by the feelings expressed in this thread it seems that many people
are leaning towards ReST. Personally ReST addresses one big, unsolved
question about what we would offer to extension authors: it seemed hard,
even impossible, to require them to write their manual in DocBook. Not
so with ReST. I also think that it's easier to customize stuff with
Python than with XSLT and the cross-linking (which is crucial) seems
rather straightforward.

So I would say that we should follow the change operated by the
FLOW3/Phoenix team and switch to ReST. If any one of you doesn't agree
with this, stand up now.