[TYPO3-doc] ReST: properties of tables!?

Martin Bless m.bless at gmx.de
Thu Nov 3 09:46:34 CET 2011

As an extension to the standard ReST idioms I'm working on a
"field-list-table" directive. Directives are a prefered way to extend
the capabilities of the Docutils - which is the basic package that
handles the ReST stuff.

In ReST source lists are much easier to write than table syntax
directly. So the basic idea is to have list format on the editors
input side and get full featured tables on the generated output side.

I've got a prototype of the "field-list-table" directive working.
Before I clean up the code and check that all possible error
situations are handled I'd like to ask:

Q: What properties of tables do we need to support?

I know about properties tables can have in HTML. So this is not the
question. I'm thinking more about PDF and LaTeX and maybe other
formats like ePub I'm not familiar with.

I somewhere saw a hint that for LaTeX its important to explicitly
define the widths of columns. In what units?

Answers and additions welcome!

Martin

--
http://mbless.de