[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: storage structure

Fabien Udriot fudriot at omic.ch
Mon Mar 21 05:48:53 CET 2011

> Here's a first sketch (comments below):

Yes, I like it.

> The thing with books is just an idea. One could argue that they can fit into some of the main
> categories (most likely guides), but OTOH I think it's good to keep books apart, as they don't
> represent official manuals.

- Is it really mandatory to make a difference between Guide and Tutorial? The difference is rather
thin and it introduces unnecessary level in the structure IMO. Personally, I would merge the branch
"Guide" and "Tutorial" into one. Maybe we can call it simply "Tutorials" or a bit longer
"TutorialsAndGuides"

- About "SystemExtensions": there is the idea in the air to improve the TER to have the support of
official "core" extension and therefore make it possible to ship a light TYPO3 Core. This new
category of extensions will be called: "core" or "community"? This is not yet defined but I wanted
to raise the issue. Maybe "CoreExtensions" would make more sense (for the future?)...

- It should be a language separation for every node, shouldn't it? I mean:

│   ├── Tutorials
│   │   ├── doc_tut_quickstart
│   │   │   ├── en
│   │   │   ├── de

> As for system extensions I think this is a real opportunity to finally have those manuals in the
> same place as the others. I would say that we should actually move them entirely out of the Core
> source code. The Extension Manager could be modified to point to online versions or downloads, just
> like for other manuals. Those manuals would finally be available online too, and it would give them
> more visibility regarding their maintenance.

Yes, let me know if I can help in setting up the CVS repository. I was recently involved with the
team server.

There is also the open question if we have to use GIT or SVN as a storage system. SVN may be easier
to use and have few tools already working (Docbook Online Editor) but OTOH GIT is now our default
source control for the CORE. I don't have a strong opinion about that.

> I have placed a "fullset.xml" file at the root of the "TYPO3v4" folder. It's about having a kind of
> "super-set" which groups all manuals from the 3 main categories. I'm unsure yet whether this is a
> good idea or not. I think it's better for cross-linking, but maybe not (the cross-linking stuff is
> still not entirely clear in my head).

cross-linking is not clear for me either.

>As books are stand-alone
> projects, I wouldn't expect to make a set for them either.

I like the idea of the "books" branch.