[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: XML IDs

Thomas Schraitle tom_schr at web.de
Mon Jun 13 21:08:12 CEST 2011

Hi,

just find some things to comment on. :)

Friday 10 June 2011
> [...]
>
> Second issue with IDs: for each manual we will have several versions and
> several translations (hopefully ;-) ). Since IDs should not change
> across versions nor languages, it means that - depending on the file
> structure we have - the same ID could appear several times within the
> same file structure.

I would recommend to keep the translated books each in their own domains. In
my opinion there is no advantage in incorporating translation into a English
book. Or in other words: don't mix.

Just to be clear: with the term "versions" you mean a new document which
describes [a] software from version X to version X+1, right?
In most cases, this is a sequential process: write for version X, release it,
and create a tag in your favorite version control system. After it is
released, start writing for the new version X+1 and the process is repeated.

However, if you want or need to edit each version in parallel, this is the
realm of your version control system. Probably it is better to create a branch
and make your additions there. This has the advantage that your changes don't
interfer with the main "trunk/tip/head" line.

> I'm not sure what impact this can have for a) editors, b) the rendering
> process.

I'm not 100% sure if I understood you correctly. What impact to you expect to
have it on the editors?
If you've separated each language as I've suggested before, there won't be any
overlap. So there won't be any duplicate IDs.
The rendering process, however, does not know of any other languages. If you
translate an English book, it knows only of that book. This may or may not
what you want.

> Of course the structure an editor
> works on needs not be the same as the structure the rendering scripts
> will run on, but I think it's something we need to take into serious
> consideration to avoid wrong links.

I don't get that. :) The stylesheets works exactly on the same structure as an
editor. Is there anything that makes you believe the contrary?

Thanks,
  Tom