[TYPO3-doc] Experimenting with ReStructured Text

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Jul 28 22:28:56 CEST 2011

Hi all,

The v5 team has recently been experimenting with a documentation format
called ReStructured Text (ReST). According to them this format has a
number of advantages and a comparison with DocBook should be made.
Although quite some work was done already on the way to migrating to
DocBook, we are not so far yet that we can't accept this request and
change our minds, if convinced (IMO).

What is currently happening is that the v5 team is in the final phase of
producing the first beta version of FLOW3. Part of that effort includes
writing a lot of documentation, which they are doing with ReST. They are
going all the way to rendering it too (at least in HTML for the time being).

Once FLOW beta1 is out of the door, they will write about their
experience in this mailing list. We will then have a debate whether we
stick to DocBook or switch to ReST.

In the meantime here are a few links if you want to know more about ReST:

A ReST primer: http://sphinx.pocoo.org/rest.html
The main ReST documentation: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html
A sample document from FLOW3:
http://git.typo3.org/FLOW3/Documentation.git?a=blob;f=Quickstart/GettingIntoTheFlow.rst

Also feel free to ask for more information if you feel like you need to
know more.