[TYPO3-doc] Build Chain Status - Extbase Book translation

Thomas Schraitle tom_schr at web.de
Wed Jul 20 22:57:49 CEST 2011

Hi François and Fabien,

(François, hope your vacation was relaxing and enjoyable.)

Wednesday 20 July 2011

> > Can I ask about the status of the Docbook Build Chain? I am thinking
> > more particularly of the PDF exportation.
> >
> > To which extend is the concept already defined?
> >
> > Anything done towards the implementation?
>
> Yes. Tom has started working on this (together with Sabine for the
> design), but I don't know how advanced this is yet. I also don't know if
> there are instructions for testing the rendering somewhere.

My job ist quite demanding at the moment, so I hadn't had the time to make
further progress. I hope, I can shuffle some time in the next days.

> > I am taking the opportunity of this message to advertise the Book
> > translation project which is still a work in progress. In case something
> > should be tested in that area, could you consider taking this project as
> > example to already get some outcome.
> >
> > http://forge.typo3.org/projects/book_extbase_fluid
>
> I guess this can be an interesting test case indeed. I know Tom has
> played around with the FLOW3 manual. He found some small problems, maybe
> the Extbase book has them too.

I checked out from the SVN repo and had a quick look. Some things that I've
observed:

* The filename could be seen as questionable. I would try to avoid number in
filenames which refers to chapters. It's often the case it is moved and the
file has to be renamed. IHMO better avoid spaces.

* <para><programlisting>, <para><tip>, ...
  Block elements (like tip, programlisting) in para are something that I would
try to avoid. Sometimes it's correctly marked up, so this seems to be
inconsistent.

* Some <emphasis> elements should be replaced with a more appropriate element.
For example, "If you use the development version [...] select the directory
<emphasis>/path-to-your-typo3-installation/typo3conf/ext/extbase/</emphasis>
..." (file 1-installation/3-configuring-your-ide.xml). Better use filename
instead of emphasis.

* A minor issue: Things that can be clicked should be marked up with <guimenu>
or <guibutton>. (for example: "Click Retrieve/Update to download..." in the
file 1-installation/2-install-extbase-and-fluid.xml)

Hope, Fabien, this helps a bit. :)

Bye,
  Tom