[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: first sample manual

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Mon Feb 21 21:27:17 CET 2011

Hi,

> Right, without a text a link can be easily missed. However, I think with the
> above solution it shouldn't be an issue anymore.:)

I'm currently using XMLMind's XMLEditor. I didn't dig too deeply, but
something similar seems possible (although I'm not sure with the free
edition). I hope it really is, as I can't imagine requesting everyone to
buy a piece of software in order to work on TYPO3 documentation.

> However, keep in mind, the way how your DocBook file is displayed in your XML
> editor is just a "hint". It makes (hopefully) your life easier if you can't
> stand the bare XML code. It's nothing more as a hint.
>
> As such, it is*very likely*  that the rendering of your XML editor is
> different than what you'll get after transformation from the DB stylesheets.
> These are totally independant processes and goes beyond simple link issues.:)

I fully understand that. However if links cannot be made visible easily
I think it's calling for problems. We can't expect all of our editors to
become highly proficient at DocBook. Maybe this seems a minor issue to
you, but it doesn't to me (maybe it will too after some time ;-) ).

How bad is it really to have this markup overhead anyway?