[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: sample reference file

Stephan Petzl spetzl at gmx.at
Sat Feb 19 15:08:10 CET 2011

Am 19.02.11 14:05, schrieb Thomas Schraitle:
> Hi Stefan,
> You mix two different target groups with different needs: developers and
> beginners.

Yes, I do. But I think it would be totally OK to have one manual for
beginners AND developers and one for core developers (which have to know
how TYPO3 internally works).
Because I'm working with TYPO3 now since version 3.6. and I still don't
know what the real difference between cObjects and functions is. You can
blame me for that, but I have to say that I'm not embarrassed, cause
every TYPO3 dev I know personally, doesn't know either. (And I'm not
talking about TYPO3 newbies). For using an API, I shouldn't have to know
how it internally works.

If you ask a TYPO3 developer (who has already done 3-4 extensions or
maybe even 10) what the difference between "data types, functions,
top-level objects, content objects, and GIFBUILDER and MENU objects" is-
how good are the chances that you get a satisfying answer?
I guess not very good, and I think the reason is that it is really
complicated.
Usually, in software engineering, we tackle complexity with
abstraction/transparency, so that would be my approach for that problem.

 >> I think that we
 >> have to really hide the complexity, so TYPO3 beginners are not afraid of
 >> typoscript any more.

what I meant was, that it is really a huge problem for TYPO3 newbies.
But it also makes live hard for extension developers/integrators.

--
Best Regards
Stephan Petzl