[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: first sample manual

Daniel Bruessler danielb at typo3.org
Thu Feb 17 18:41:51 CET 2011

Hello Francois,

> (...) first sample DocBook-based manual for starting the discussion about document structure. I based myself on the current
> OpenOffice template and (more or less) reproduced that structure in DocBook. I tried to use all the tags/structure that we might reasonably use.
>
> The best is that you get the stuff from the SVN repository directly:
>
> https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Documentation/official_template/trunk/DocBook/

well done! Thank you for this good work.

> (...) no example TypoScript reference in this file. Indeed I have created a separate file for this (reference.xml), which is not fully ready yet and
> that I will submit for discussion in a separate thread

That's a good idea, because the id-references need a special focus. It's not easy to map the TypoScript-structure into the docbook-manual.

> So please just concentrate on "manual.xml" for now and make your comments/remarks/etc., on anything you find good, bad, missing, could be improved and what not.
>
> I haven't yet toyed with id's and cross-references, but it's a topic that we will have to broach on very soon. As far as I understand it, it will be closely related to the structure of our document
> repository, which is also a hot topic to solve.

yes, that's indeed very important. With this we have to carry the meta-information, we have in the OpenOffice-document - and some more.

> As a kind of conclusion to this very first step, I would like to say that I pretty much enjoyed working with DocBook

I also like docbook, it's not just simple text.

> (...) And it was an immense pleasure not to have to worry about styling. I'm eagerly looking forward to ditching OpenOffice for this kind of task :-)

+1

Greets!
Daniel