[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: storage structure

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Wed Apr 20 09:33:47 CEST 2011

Hey François,

I mostly agree with your structure :-)
However, I think one top-level folder "Build" is still missing, which
contains the full build chain. For that, I'd suggest to use Phing
Scripts (but that's another topic...)

I'd like to discuss one related point: SVN or GIT // how to store
different versions of core manuals

For all core manuals, they are bound to a specific TYPO3 version -- so
we'd need branches for each 4.X release, and tags for each 4.X.Y release.
Thus, the structure would be more like:
CoreManuals
|-- doc_core_api
     |-- en
          |-- branches
          |-- tags
          |-- trunk

right?

And this brings me to the second question: *If* we use Git (which I
think is a good idea, as we're moving to Git in the mid-term), I'd
suggest to use *different repositories for each language version of a
manual*. Else, it would be impossible to use branches / tags as it is
supposed to in Git.

Furthermore, I'd suggest one "Distribution" which contains the structure
you outlined, and pulls in all the other manuals as Git Submodules. We
from the v5 team use this structure for Phoenix and FLOW3 for a while
now, and made quite good experiences with it.
The only small hazzle: Git Submodules always *point to a specific
revision*, so in v5 we have a small hudson job which automatically
updates the distribution regularily... And that's what I'd suggest as well.

What do you think?

Greets,
Sebastian