[TYPO3-doc] 2011: Year of the DocBook

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Nov 28 20:56:22 CET 2010

Hi all,

In a previous post to this list, I explained how we (the Doc Team) were
looking at converging with what the Phoenix team does for the documentation.

After discussing the pros and cons, we decided to move the official
documentation of v4 to DocBook too. Actually this not really new as it
had been in the air for a long while already. You can find more
information on the project in the wiki:

http://wiki.typo3.org/DocTeam/DocBook_migration

I have applied for a budget from the TYPO3 Association to help along in
this migration, as there will certainly be complicated or boring path
where some financial incentive will help move things along. The budget
has received a positive review from the Steering Committee, but final
approval will be done during the next General Assembly (Feb 2011).

I would like to add that we are interacting with people from other
open-source communities for this project and it is both very enjoyable
and motivating.

Much discussion has taken place off-list until now, as we were on a
rather strategic level. More discussion will happen in this list in the
future.

Feel free to come up with questions, express your expectations or worries.

One particular note: it is not yet decided what to do for extension
manuals. Obviously it should be possible to use DocBook too for those
who want to, but we haven't yet a solution for those who don't.