[TYPO3-doc] TypoScript reference

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Mar 11 14:58:33 CET 2010

Hi,

> When building the xml-tsref[1] we asked ourself whether we have to
> distinguish between data types and functions. For me, after using the
> tsref for over 5 years now, the difference is still not obvious.

The difference is that functions have properties which are called to so
something. Data types are values that are directly attributed.

lib.foo.stdWrap.current = 1

stdWrap is a function and it has various properties. "current" is one of
them and it's datatype is boolean, meaning it can be attributed a value
of 0 or 1.

> Is it important to know the underlying concepts of this? I think
> Typoscript is hard enough to learn- we should not make it more complex
> then necessary.

It is certainly important to know these concepts. Now that doesn't mean
that they need to appear as such in the online TSref we are thinking about.

>  > TSref > Objects > (some object)
>
> What do you mean with "Objects"?

I meant top-level objects (CONFIG, PAGE,...), content objects (TEXT,
HTML,...), etc.