[TYPO3-doc] A vision for the TYPO3 documentation

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Mar 4 15:17:29 CET 2010

Hi again,

I let a bit of time pass to collect more comments and reactions. Thanks
to all those who took the time to answer.

Here's what I have gathered:

- globally the vision I laid out seems ok
- one worry is to be able to distinguish clearly between document
categories and ideas have been proposed in that regard. I am well aware
of the fact and have my own ideas on the subject too. I think which
idea(s) we finally use are actually implementation details, which
doesn't mean they are not important. I'll open a separate thread for
that particular topic.
- the question of documentation "quality" was raised, statuses like
"released", "reviewed", etc. This is actually the main point I wanted to
make. What I would like to have is *official* documentation, and by that
I mean it is approved and reviewed by people like the Doc Team and me,
as the Core Doc Manager. So while anyone would still be free to write a
manual, it would certainly not automatically qualify as "official".
- that list of documentation would need to be improved over what we have
now, so that it is easier to find a manual and know what topics it covers.
- we should also improve the search possibilities (this was discussed
offline with Steffen Kamper). It is currently not possible to search
inside a single manual or inside all manuals (but not the rest of
typo3.org). This will depend strongly on what search technology the new
typo3.org uses, but I will raise the topic with the people in charge.
- there's a real lack of an on-line easily accessible TypoScript
reference. The main reproach is that links change all the time when
manuals are rendered. This is a very valid complaint and is something I
have been thinking about for a long time, because it is not the only
problem: there's also the TS reference used by the t3editor, which has
to be edited manually by the t3editor team, and there's the in-line help
which is built from the manuals inside TYPO3 by extension tsconfig_help.
I think the XML file used by the t3editor team should become the
reference and would certainly make it possible to build the web pages
some of you dream about. This is outside the scope of this thread and
I'll open a new one for it.

Thanks again to all for the feedback. Look for the threads that will
follow up on this one and - if you're motivated by documentation - start
thinking about which manual you would like to contribute to.