[TYPO3-doc] A vision for the TYPO3 documentation

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Feb 28 18:18:36 CET 2010

Hi all,

As you have probably noticed, I have been very active on the TYPO3 Core
documentation recently. In addition to that I have also been thinking
about the bigger picture of TYPO3 documentation and try to come up with
a vision of what it could be ideally.

Quite a few books have been published recently, which is great in terms
of documentation and also shows increased awareness about TYPO3 on the
market. While seeing more TYPO3 books makes me very happy, I think that
an Open Source project should also have quality, free documentation.

The Documentation Team has produced some very good manuals, like
TypoScript in 45 minutes. However I feel like these efforts are not
visible enough, in particular because it's in the wiki and not
referenced on typo3.org. And they don't cover the whole range of needs
for beginners, editors, administrators, etc.

So here are my thoughts and ideas, that I submit to you for discussion.

First of all, I would like to categorize the manuals more strictly. I
can see three big categories:

- Core manuals: that would be pretty much what is already considered as
"Core documentation" today
- Tutorials: step-by-step learning documents. What I would like to do
here is to clearly separate "official" tutorials (reviewed and approved
by the Doc Team) from other tutorials created by anyone. That may be
unpopular with those who wrote tutorials, but should not be taken as
such. First of all, there are not many people who write tutorials
anyway. And then I hope that such highly-motivated people would agree to
join in writing the official tutorials.
- Guides: this is the real missing link IMO. These manuals should be
real practical references. Whereas the core documentation is a technical
reference, these should be references for daily work, complete with
useful tips & tricks.

More concretely here's what I imagine (trying not to go into too much
details at this point):

- the core documentation is pretty complete, but some manuals like Core
APIs have become bloated and should probably be split. Some information
about APIs could probably be moved to some extension developer's guide.
Some very old manuals need to be totally revamped or merged into more
recent ones and removed.

- for tutorials, we currently have the install and upgrade guide which
is actively maintained (although the installation guide is really a
guide, and what we rather need as a tutorial is a getting started; the
existing one is in dire need of a refresh; this should work together
with the new starter packages planned for TYPO3 4.4 (haven't discussed
this yet with the team developing the starter package)). There are some
dreadfully outdated manuals like Modern Template Building (which is not
modern anymore) and Futuristic Template Building (not really futuristic
anymore either). These should be replaced by a new templating tutorial,
maybe be incorporating the TS in 45 minutes tutorial (ideally this
should also play nice with the new starter package). The TypoScript by
Example tutorial should also be refreshed.

- guides are where the most work lies. Here's a list of the guides I
could envision:

-- Administrator's Guide: how to set up a TYPO3 installation beyond
making templates and - especially - how to maintain it, what routine
tasks should be performed (like lowlevel cleaning), what logs are
available and how to monitor your installation, etc.
-- Security Guide: security is an important topic, which is why I think
it should be separate from the Administrator's Guide, although it is
clearly an administrator's task. I think this one is particularly
important, not only because of its topic, but also because there are
quite a few unofficial security guides out there, which is fine, but
also confusing. I have already broached the subject with the Security Team.
-- Editors's Guide: there's a neat start for this with the typo3_tut
manual, but this guide should rather be a reference for Editors, listing
the usual tasks and how to ge about them, the different types of content
elements and how to use them, workspaces, etc.
-- Programming Guide: this would be a starting point for extension
developers. It should probably be split in FE and BE programming. I
would put an emphasis on BE programming, as FE is better covered by
books, blogs and numerous examples.
-- Localization Guide: this one exists and contains a lot of useful
information. It probably deserves a review as its content can probably
be reorganized a bit in retrospect, but there's a very good basis.

That's quite a bit to digest, I hope it will foster a good discussion.

Most importantly I hope it will generate a will to participate, because
it all represents a lot of works and the Doc Team and me will never be
able to make that all come true just by ourselves. Then again it's just
a vision, but wouldn't it be really great if it came true?