[TYPO3-doc] Defining official documentation

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sat Apr 17 22:30:26 CEST 2010

Hi all,

Sorry for being silent these last few days, but I was taken by other
stuff. I would like to come back to the topic of defining "official
documentation" because we are nearing the time when new documents will
be added. So here's a summary of the points that we have agreed on so
far (or at least that haven't raised a controversy):

- official documents can be recognized by their extension key, i.e.
"doc_core_*" for core references, "doc_tut_*" for tutorials and
"doc_guides_*" for manuals covering a given topic.
- official documents will carry an introduction clearly identifying them
as such, as well as an explanation of the category they belong to (i.e.
core manuals, tutorials or guides).
- official documents are peer-reviewed in this mailing list and are
published either by the extension key owner (key ownership probably has
to be refined).

Are there disagreements up to here?

Further points which I thought about and that we should discuss:

- I would like the author of all official documents to be "Official
documentation". Individual credits would be given in a new section of
each manual. Anyway - over time - there are too many authors to mention
them in the "author" field of the extension IMO.
- In terms of structure we need to discuss where to place the
above-mentioned credits as well as the category definition mentioned
earlier. I think it's quite obvious that the category definition must be
the first thing one finds in the document. There are also sometimes
dedications that need to be placed somewhere (at least there are
dedications from Kasper in some of the manuals and I think we should
leave them). We just need to be careful about the impact on HTML
rendering, because currently an introduction is automatically extracted,
so we must make sure that something relevant is extracted instead of
some standard text (this is not so trivial, because any change in the
rendering process will impact all existing manuals, including those from
extensions).
- As suggested by Susanne, manuals should also have a "Further reading"
section pointing to other manuals, sections to the wiki, etc. In the
case of tutorials, this would probably be also be a help on which next
steps to take.

Opinions?

I started documenting most of this in the wiki of the official
documentation Forge project:

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/show/typo3v4-documentation

I will follow up with a first serious draft of the categories
descriptions in a separate thread.