[TYPO3-doc] purpose of wiki [update]

Martin Holtz typo3 at martinholtz.de
Sat Mar 17 14:04:39 CET 2007

Hi Jakub,

i think you are right.

> The main and the only really crucial point in the vision is that wiki
> should be aimed to the user of typo3 looking for documentation on typo3.
i agree

we should make wiki.typo3.org to the main documentation page, and not use it
as collaborative tool to write OO-documentation.

> ==flat structure==
>
> I think that the BASIC structure of wiki should be very simple and easy
> to understand. If there are any other structures (trees of documents,
> tags, directories) they should be PARALLEL to the basic structure
> ALTERNATIVE. This means that if the user ignores them it means no
> obstacle nor confusion to him.
yes

> Footnote: Nice example of the fact that the current wiki structure is
> too complicated is that there are even users who completely ignore it
> and create their own articles outside this formal structure. For example
>   user Christinapaige2000 who started to write his/her documetation wiki
> pages. And thought they are still scattered they have already helped me
> a lot in some questions.
thats it!

> * First you should see if there is a need/interest for the document.
> Direct your question to the documentation news group.
>
> NO. This is unnecesarry. If I am interested in the subject so much that
> I am willing to start an article, than it is enough.
That rule stopped me writing a few times.

>      * Then you should decide under which section you should put a link
> to the document. Then ask the DocTeam to put up the link and make the
> new page. It is not forbidden to make the link and page yourself, but it
> is considered good practice to ask first.
That rule stopped me writing a few times too.

> You can start the article, make it good and only then look for places
> where to put link to it. There can be even more places and if the
> article is interesting enough this might be done for you by other people.
>
>      * The new document should be put under the Documents in progress
> section.
>
> Some kind of this is probably desirable - minor flaw is that in the
> workflow document there is not even a link to "Documents in progress
> section". I think that simple {{stub}} template or alike might do the
> work.
>
> Again I emphasize: I speak about ARTICLES, not about OO documents for
> sum kind of workflow might be desirable. Also there is a crucial thing I
> have learned in wiki projects: Procedures are popular to suggest but
> unpopular to follow, due to the effort required to locate, read, learn
> and abide by them.
>
> ==conclusion==
>
> There is probably more than that, but I think it is enough (if not too
> much) for now. I hope that I made my points as understandable as
> possible. If something is unclear, plese ask.

I hope the wiki.typo3.org concept will be changed now!

thanks,

gruss,
martin