[TYPO3-doc] TYPO3 Book... Argh!

Daniel Smedegaard Buus danielbuus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 09:33:59 CEST 2006

Erik Svendsen wrote:

> Hello Daniel,

Hi Erik :)

> Your frustration is well known! And even I find the TYPO3 Book difficult
> to follow sometimes. And therefore I use it mostly as a reference, and not
> as a cookbook.

I have a feeling that'll be the way I'll use it in the future, except that
future seems so distant at times ;)

> To look at the template problem, the example in the book primarly uses
> cascading templates and a kind of template repository. It makes the use of
> templates much more modular, but are also more difficult to understand
> when you start learning TYPO3 (my opinion). As you already may have
> understanded, there are different ways in how to make the connection
> between the html part and the site. Even if the logic behind the
> TypoScript are exaxtly the same.

I think the concept is fairly simple, the problem is the directions or lack
thereof. I still haven't figured out how to integrate the help files in a
TYPO3 site, although the templates are now imported. I think that's why
part of it works now, and yet I don't really know how to make that final
bit function... I think that small mistakes in books will actually make the
reader more clever (because you suddenly have to *think* instead of just
taking orders), but in this case it's getting silly ;)

> My advice is as follow:
> * Put away the book for some days.
> * Look at Modern Template Building (look also at page 300 in the book) and
> Futuristic Template Building, and make a choice which approach you want to
> use. The Norwegian tutorial I linked to in another post is using
> Futuristic approach. I see both as good approaches, and the futuristic
> aren't necessarily better than the other. Use one of these approaches, and
> when implementing the TypoScript look at chapter 5.10 and 5.11 in the
> book. I also think that most of the stuff in chapter 5.5 you can forget. I
> don't use any of the static templates, instead I use CSS styled content
> (an extension). * Don't botter with the use of cascading templates at this
> point. It will help you in the future, but for your first site it's okay
> with a root template.

Argh. I started with MTB, then put it away in favor of the book. Too many
dead links and a feeling that there was something I needed to know first.
Well, I guess I'll give the book a couple more hours because I'm stubborn,
then if it still sucks, I'll go with the templating tutorials and skip the
entire templating section of the book, then cross my fingers that the rest
of the book proves to be better :)

Thanks,
Daniel :)