[TYPO3-doc] Better TSRef

Tyler Kraft headhunterxiii at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 4 13:20:20 CEST 2006

Hi Matthew, Tapio

> This is true also of the Object TEXT amongst others.
Thats because TEXT has stdWrap properties. As its marked as being the
second thing in the table for TEXT.

> So this assumes that certain Properties are available to most other Objects.
No you need to read tsref to find out what/which properties are
available to each object. In the case of HTML we can see that the only
property that HTML has is value, but that value has stdWrap properties.

> I think if all possible properties were put under all possible Objects then
> TSREF would have a lot of duplication and be more confusing.
True, I agree. I think tsref is rather well organised considering how
much information is in it, But in my opinion the problem is it can take
a long time to figure out how to best read it (and thats an individual
thing)

> I agree more advanced examples are necessary to help people become aware
> hence my suggestion for a TypoScript by Example Part 2.

Yes I very much agree with you (after over three years  and +30
incarnations of typo3 sites there are still aspects that just don't make
any sense to me and that I've never been able to find good documentation
nor exaples for )

> However, 'if' is explained in TSREF under the description of Functions at
> Chapter 5.
Because it is a function, like stdWrap. But it can also be accessed from
stdWrap. Which means afaik that you can use it anyweher you can use
stdWrap - it just might be a little more tricky thats all. (The person
to ask about 'if' is Joey)

  Here the main stdWrap Properties table does not actually mention
> that these items are available to be used as standard Properties of most
> other Objects.  Perhaps it should. Some of the Objects refer to stdWrap but
> not all.
Well no it shouldn't either - anywhere you can use stdWrap you can use
stdWrap properties... seems pretty common sense to me. So firstly you
need to check to see if, where and how you can use stdWrap on an Object,
and then you have access to all the stdWrap properties (including if).
And sometimes only certain parts of an object have stdWrap (FILE.altText
has stdWarp but the FILE object itself doesn't - it only has wrap)

HMENU lists both if and stdWrap as properties of it, and GMENU does not
have stdWrap nor if listed among its properties (and they also are not
listed int he common menu properties) so you don't have access to them
(but GMENU item states have access to stdWrap via the allStdWrap
property). The same thing TMENU - it doesn't have stdWrap but its items do.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, and have just entered a
tone of text for the sole reason of being bored with work today ;-)

Tyler