[TYPO3-doc] Do you miss a HAT

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 10:55:05 CEST 2006

Good ideas strategically and probably an ideal.

As I see it, changes to existing documentation is steady ongoing process and
largely each document is the work of one main author as titled in the
document itself.

So changes can be sent straight to the author to review and release.

Looking at new documents then perhaps this documentation list is the place
to propose and discuss and if this leads to a new document being needed
then someone will take the initiative to draft it.

I think the main reason for the earlier discussion was simply a combination
of:

1) People did not know other lists existed
2) They did not find the existing documentation they needed
3) typo3.org is still hard to use to find the documentation/answers you
need.
4) Probably the people do not know TYPO3 idiosyncracies enough to find/ask
effectively.

Again the discussion arises, how to help new people find enough information
to help them learn TYPO3 enough.

It seems that many people learning TYPO3 are not willing/able to learn typo3
from the structure and need TS snippets to help them achieve the function
they need.

They have pressures of time and work.
Generally TYPO3 understands that hence the excellent document TS by Example.

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_core_tsbyex/current/

But there comes a point where a person needs to go beyond that and learn
TYPO3. This means an investment of time reading the great reference
documentation.

So again the discussion on new people learning. What can be done to ease
their learning. Possibly a more structured lesson/documentation outline?

As I see it TYPO3 is a complex configuration tool that will output an almost
infinite number of solutions so how can it be possible to specifically
document them all at the learning position of any particular user.

Matthew