[TYPO3-doc] [TYPO3-dev] Announcing TYPO3 4.0.1

virgil huston virgil.huston at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 18:35:32 CEST 2006

Matthew,

I agree with you 100% and am willing to help. Here is my story and I have
been doing html web pages since 1996 and know my way around Unix web
servers, etc. I tried learning TYPO3 on my own two or three times and gave
up. I have spent weeks and weeks of time. That said, I have persisted
because I see the promise of TYPO3 and would like to use it for many of my
client's sites. I finally managed to get a good install after looking at
someone's elses installation. The docs were of minimal use and it was trial
and error, for example, the install tool wouldn't write the path to Image
Majik to the config file. I had no idea this was why that part of the setup
wouldn't work and I finally opened up the config file and added it manually.
I would probably have a hard time repeating this whole process as my notes
just got too confusing as I went back and forth. I was able to create a page
structure, but after that, I was stuck. The manuals/tutorials/docs bear
little resemblance to what one gets in a TYPO3 4.0 installation. Direct Mail
extension is a case in point. I have gone through the manual and the
tutorial and much of what is in these docs I cannot find. OK, you get the
idea, same problem with tt_news, the FTB doc, etc

So, I hired a freelancer to implement my first full TYPO3 site, teach
me, and help me when I get stuck. It is a very, very frustrating experience
when the docs don't help and I have to continually bug this very generous
freelancer with what have to be some simple and stupid questions. By the
way, if any other newbies want to hire this guy, he is an expert and goes
out of his way to be helpful and he even puts up with my whining :-) email
me and I'll send you his name. I essentially had to force him to accept
payment. But, for me, I was never going to learn TYPO3 on my own. I am not a
programmer, but I am no computer dummy, either, and TYPO3 brought me to my
knees. The docs are probably the single most important factor keeping TYPO3
from being much more used.

Virgil Huston