[Typo3-doc] Greetings from the US

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sun Oct 16 11:21:47 CEST 2005

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the question!

Peter Kindström wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>Thanks for your information!
>

>>1. Our team ... take the existing documentation
>>2. Review the English version, ... from the perspective of marketing to
>>the US market.
>>3. Create a repository to store the US-English versions...
>>

>Am I right if I guess that your intentions are to make _new_
>documents, not update/correct the old ones?

No, actually the opposite. The goal is to only make corrections that
will make the documentation more "US-friendly" for the US marketing
efforts. Little things like spelling "color" rather than "colour" or not
capitalizing non-proper nouns are sometimes subtleties that can make a
difference when trying to sell an American on a product. So our intent
is only to review the docs to make them more US-English for marketing,
and provide them for all to enjoy. We don't want to duplicate efforts,
but play a supporting role in the entire T3 marketing efforts.

Our discussions did bring up the idea that US-English docs would be
acceptable to non-native-English-speakers, but British-English can
present mindset hurdles when marketing to the US crowd. So to market to
the US, we would, at the very least, have to make US-English
"translations" of the docs to make them more palatable to potential US
customers.

Since it's a waste of effort to duplicate effort, we're hoping to be
able to find ways we can support the main doc team's work while
providing the US market what it needs. If we can work with the core doc
team and provide a set of documentation that has all of the spelling and
grammatical errors corrected on all of the English docs, that could at
least hopefully save some effort on the translation front, even if we do
spell some words like "colour" funny. :)

Regards,
Alex