[Typo3-doc] New documentation section at typo3.org / TER 2

Charlie Dale charlie at aphid.net
Tue Nov 8 11:33:49 CET 2005

Hi Robert,

On Tuesday, 8 November 2005 20:18, Robert Lemke wrote:

> By the way: One task which has been open for two years now is the
> "Start here!" page in the documentation section [3].
>
> I have chosen another structure for the new TER [4]. Please have a
> look at it - what would you like to change? We should create proper
> texts for the documentation section during the next three weeks so we
> can use them when the TER2 goes online.

Yay! This is great! I like the layout you've chosen.

Some ideas:

* Perhaps "Installation" should go under "Tutorials"? Most of those
installation docs are tutorial like.

* "References" would be better named "Reference Manuals" or similar.
"References" makes me think you are giving a list of sources or further
information links (like the References section of a thesis).

* It would be _awesome_ to have grouping by language before anything else. I
get quickly confused when I can't read the titles of documents, and when
they are mixed together with English docs I have to scan the titles. I also
get really annoyed if I see a doc available that I want to read but that's
written in a language I don't speak. Could you have a selector box at the
main documentation page, for choosing languages other than English? (Yes I'm
biased towards English, but I also remember reading that English is the
"official" language of the TYPO3 docs.)
  The current document library is so-so in this respect - it has flags next
to the documents. But I think this is a bit too late. I still read the
document title, then check the flag. Would be better to have the language
chosen earlier.

Anyway, keep up the great work on revising TER, looking forward to it and
the new documentation section.

Cheers,
Charlie