[Typo3-doc] Wiki people: who's on board now?

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Mon Nov 7 22:09:15 CET 2005

Peter Kindström wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>

>>>It sounds like you are going it the *completely wrong
>>>direction!?* Are you really going to make yet another document
>>>for this? And not delete any of the existing ones?
>>>

>>Not if I can help it. The idea is to take the relevant information
>>located within multiple documents and organize them into a single,
>>easy-to-follow document, then burn the existing ones.
>>

>Thank you, now I´m calm again!  ;-)
>My only concern now is if this result in *very* big documents
>(like the FTB), but that´s not a big issue!

Well, I know how it is when someone you don't know comes in a just
suggests a bunch of changes! :)
My biggest suggestion is just for the rest of us to get our butts in
gear and help out as best we can!!

>>Not if the new documents have the structure laid out before they are
>>started. Which takes more work, and more time, I know. It's not going to
>>be easy, but it will be possible. There are some good writers donating
>>their time to the US team, so once they get writing we should be able to
>>start, and hopefully build up some good momentum.
>>

>Well, I you take a look at my own wiki, you can find an embryo
>for this structure. Take it, modify it and GO!  :-)
> http://www.infolagret.se/typowiki/

It sounds like the team is all on the same page, finally, since what you
put up mirrors what I've seen people saying lately.

>>And someone suggested a document index (not just a listing). This would
>>be like an index in the back of a technical book:
>>TemplaVoila: blah-blah manual
>>Installation: blah manual
>>Learning TypoScript for AWstats: blah-other manual
>>et cetera
>>

>Yes and I guess that is something OOo and/or DocBook can do
>nearly automagically?

Not sure. I tend to use gedit for all my writing! I do need to learn OO
better!! :)

>---
>
>BTW, it is nice to hear that someone at last understand the key
>problems of T3doc and start to adress them in the right way!
>
>And if you continue discussing documentation issues in this list
>(not in the US list) , you also may get more help from me and
>others. Hint, hint!  :-)

I agree. Over here in the US, we tend to be more forum-oriented, and the
doc discussion on the US lists began when the recent fervor began around
getting T3 more US market share. So, it took me a few days to even get
on this list, which is why the discussions didn't start here. :) I'm
going to contact the current US team and suggest they sign up to this
list, but Virgil is on the list on his own so the others may already be
here lurking. :)

I could say we welcome more help from you and others, but in actuality
it is us who want to help *you* out! The US doc concerns began and
should always be to help T3's documentation, not to create a distinct
second set. As USA-centric as it sounds, it seems like the big
companies, even German companies like Bayer and Agfa, have all of their
primary marketing and documentation geared towards the biggest
internet-using market. Whether we all agree with the reasons or the
particulars (I, included) or not, this tends to be the reality of the
situation. By getting a single, cohesive set of English-speaking
documentation, we can all benefit!

Alex