[Typo3-doc] The new extension repository (TER2)

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Sat Nov 5 15:39:53 CET 2005

Hi Elmar,

Elmar Hinz wrote:

>> But later on we will be able to truly take advantage of DocBook and it
>> will be possible to use DocBook instead of Open Office as a source
>> format. If you have questions about DocBook or ask yourself why it's so
>> much better than Open Office documents, I'll gladly answer your questions
>> and point you to interesting resources.
>>

> I wounder how it is possible to match OO to docbook. I would expect that
> OO gives more freedom in arranging nodes comparing docbook wich is
> restricted be a DTD. No conflicting situations, no information lost?

Well, it only works because we already have a more or less rigid layout for
our documents. Of course some aspects can't be converted that well but
generally it works fine. For example I can assume that all text which uses
the style "Preformatted" is a code example - although it might only be true
in 95% of the cases.

Have a look at http://ter.dev.robertlemke.de if you like, all the documents
there are converted to DocBook and then to HTML. The HTML styles etc. are
not optimized yet, but we can always fine tune the conversion later on.

>> Just let's get started, it would be so cool if we had the best
>> documentation site of all free software projects!
>
> The newest should be the best - at least ;-) - cause it has the chance
> to learn from other projects. I would like to define out goal to stay
> the best on the long run.

Yes. The funny thing is that in the mailing lists of some other projects
they refer to TYPO3 when it comes to good examples of documentation and
displaying it online ;-)

Happy weekend,
robert

--
Robert Lemke
TYPO3 Association - Research & Development