[Typo3-doc] Reason for dropping DocBook...

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Sat Mar 26 11:13:38 CET 2005

Hi!
Have you tested anyone of the DocBook editors you linked to?
Which is the best to use if I want to test?

> http://dbkeditor.sourceforge.net/
Requires Java and seems to be too simple for the docTeam but
maybe good enought for programmers?

> http://www.epcedit.com/
89 euro...

> http://gnomedesktop.org/node/1151
Looks more like a XML structure view than an editor...

> http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/index.html
Nice, but if we want to save spreadsheets or use WebDAV/FTP we
have to pay 220 euros...

I think DocBook might be a good format for future Typo3
documentation, but what are the benefits of it. Using a standard
format and be able to export in different way I understand, but
many tools (OOo) can do that. Why is DocBook better?

Don´t get me wrong. To me it looks like this is a format we have
to consider in the future, but right now it (=editors) does not
seem to be mature enought to be the standard documentation tool
in the Typo3 community...?

Maybe we first should test DocBook in a smaller "project"? Like
writing the Editors handbook och Installation Basics in the
DocBook format?

Would it be difficult to convert the wiki format to DocBook and
vice versa?

/Peter Kindström