[Typo3-doc] Reason for dropping DocBook...

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Fri Mar 25 21:31:17 CET 2005

>>Before we get carried away any more, can one of those decision makers
>>(Ingmar, Robert, Sebastian, Sylvain) please explain why DocBook didn't
>>make it as the overall documentation format?
>
> It has been answered already (and correctly, I remember the relevant
> discussions from the tour): there is no really user friendly editor
> available that would make use of the advantages of DocBook.

Since there are supposed to be user friendly editors I can't see how
that was relevant to the decision.

Where you part of the project? I only know of the above having been
involved.

> I experienced this: after a short while noone else was working on a
> documentation project that had started out with a fair amount of hope, and
> the reason that was given was the complexity involved with writing it.

Are you talking about DocBook? Where did you experience the complexity
in it? Why would major open source projects work with DocBook?

> Thus the idea of creating timtaw was born, together with enabling round-trip
> editing between timtaw and OOo.

Maybe waiting for timtaw will answer the questions I have around
documentation structuring and guidelines...

Jean-Marie