[Typo3-doc] Reason for dropping DocBook...

Geoff Deering geoff at deering.id.au
Wed Mar 23 22:25:01 CET 2005

Kraft Bernhard wrote:

> Jean-Marie Schweizer wrote:
>
>> DocBook is pretty much like LaTEX in terms of usage. You have a
>> markup language to learn and write it in plain text. The big
>> advantage of DocBook: it is XML. It comes with DTDs and Stylesheets,
>> has several approved XSLTs and also the FOs for PDF and Postscript.
>

> "The big advantage of DocBook: it is XML":
>
> You have one more vote for docBook from my side. I really like XML !!!

This is not first hand knowledge, but maybe things to consider.

* I have seen discussion that some people are now finding the Docbook
DTD too limited
* At the same time, it does have a lot of tools, etc, that other schemas
may not have

OpenOffice can import a DocBook docs with a Docbook XSL filter.  I
installed it in OO1.1.1, but I don't think it can export it.  Could be
wrong, may be worth looking at.

OO2beta will default to the Oasis standard, for which there are more
tools (http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/tools/).  Maybe even that is
the answer.  Maybe the best of both worlds.

A Typo3 developer I was talking to on another list says that he uses
http://kt-dms.sourceforge.net/ for a lot of clients who need these types
of document management solutions.

There is also http://forrest.apache.org/docs/your-project.html which
transforms OO1.x docs, but that may not be the type of solution you are
looking for.

My two cents worth
Geoff