[Typo3-doc] Reason for dropping DocBook...

Kraft Bernhard kraftb at gmx.net
Wed Mar 23 15:31:30 CET 2005

Hallo,

This is my first post to this list ...

Jean-Marie Schweizer wrote:

> For 2 we need a professional documentation solution (DocBook, LaTEX
> etc.) that allows us to structure, work in teams, follow guidlines and
> have everything in a format that can be converted in whatever we need.
> So far I only know of LaTEX and DocBook who can do that where DocBook
> follows the XML syntax.

I'm from the programmers side and I must say I don't dislike it so very much to write documentation.

It helps you to clear things up in your head and get an "written" not "coded" overview over your extension ...
It also shows you up what will be too complicated for users when it is even hard to understand in the
documentation ...

But why I write: I would really appreciate going for LaTEX. AFAIK it is used for many years
in the book-production industry and produces overall good output in pdf and html ...

I also think programmers like it more, to write plain text and do the markup also via plaintext commandos, than
to write in a graphical interface with hundreds of buttons and boxes ... (just my humble opinion)

Could you please tell a little bit more about docBook and how one enters text into it. It was already pointed
out that there's no GUI for docBook ... so do I also have to enter my markup as text ? (i would favor that)

One more question which arises is if it would be possible to convert the already existing documentation to the
new format as it would take a very long time (years) to convert all the existing documentation manually ...

greets,
Bernhard
--
Kraft Bernhard