[Typo3-doc] Recommend a PHP accelerator

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Apr 9 19:30:53 CEST 2005

In typo3.dev Michael Stucki <michael at typo3.org> wrote:
>>> Actually I'm already using MMCache!
>> Hmm... maybe the recommendation to do so should be somewhere near
>> download links to be quite hard to miss.  It really helps a great deal.
> Yes, eAccelerator (formerly known as MMcache) is definitely great!
> Is anybody willing to write some additional comments for the
> "Installation & Upgrade" manual?

Errr...  I think that bare:

---
Using some PHP accelerator (actually precompiler/cache system) will most
likely yield significant performance gains; eAccelerator[1] and its
predecessor Turck MMCache[2] are tested and recommended for that.

Regarding MMCache, shm_size of 32M with compression disabled is known to
suffice for moderately sized bunch of sites running on TYPO3 3.7.0 with
a few dozens of extensions loaded.

For accelerator setup instructions, check the appropriate sites.

[1] http://eaccelerator.net/HomeUk
[2] http://turck-mmcache.sourceforge.net
---

should be enough to start.  Maybe some accelerator tuning (configuration
samples, most likely those which can be recommended as "sane defaults")
is reasonable here, I've just looked at what's going on here.

--
Michael Shigorin
EMT.Com.UA