[Typo3-doc] Ask for assistance: Release notes for 3.7.0

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Tue Sep 21 09:02:10 CEST 2004

Hi Sylvain,

>> No, maybe it should be easier at all! The regular user doesn't need to
>> know how to find out these directories. [...] Delete the directories
>> [...]
>
> Hum, I'm not convinced it's a good way to present to problem, because
> saying deleting that stuff seems a bad idea. But that's your request,
> and I help you, ok ? :-)

OK then you should explain them why they should delete these directories but
please don't scare them with a cryptic bash script! ;-)

>> "If you've just copied TYPO3 3.7.0 over an old version, then the
>> directory..."
>
> Yes, that's what you wrote first, but it's seems awful to me !
> I will never overwrite an existing source tree with an other one. You
> see what can append ? not removed stuff sourced by php.

If you can use symbolic links then you are right. OK, it might be good to
annotate this on the top of the page: "If your installation uses the tar.gz
version with the symlink concept then you should upgrade according to ...
(link to page on typo3.org/inst_upgr).

So yes, Users of the tar.gz archives might never see this problem at all.

But there are others who use the zip version: (Mostly) the Windows users,
also users on public web hosters (because symlinks cannot be copied over
FTP) and some other users who could have taken benefit of the symlink
version but didn't know how to use it.

These users will have a structure which is 2x larger than the tar.gz version
_because_ the directories t3lib, tslib and some more are _copied_ instead
of being linked. It just doesn't work otherwise.

Therefore I think the above scenario is very regular for a Windows user.
They download the zip file and overwrite just everything of their current
installation.

> Grrr. :-\
>
> I've not read some thing similar in Install and Upgrade manual and
> decided to change that by a safer method.
>
> cd mywebfolder
> tar xzf typo3_src_3.7.0rc2.tgz
> cp -a typo3_src_3.6.2/typo3/ext typo3_src_3.7.0rc2/typo3/ext

Aaargh! Why should you need to do that? Well, it's getting more and more
complicated than it originally was.
With the above lines you copy all extensions from 3.6.2 to 3.7.0. But why do
you want to do that?! Makes absolutely no sense to me!

- michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html