[Typo3-doc] Re: TYPO3 documentation file format

Matthias Stübner news at stuebner.de
Sat Nov 20 17:15:39 CET 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:37:28 +0100, Michael Stucki wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's worth to spend some time for writing this, but I'll try
> to clarify some facts:

It is always worth.

>> Gents, it becomes clear why there isn't so much documentation.
>
> Ahem... but you know this page, don't you?
> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/Matrix/
>
> TYPO3 is one of the best documented projects. We don't have a problem of
> missing documentation, rather it's a problem of too much documentation that
> has to be structured in some way...

Ok, I wasn't that clear, I ment good documentation of extensions mainly.
For the general system there is a bunch of docs and books, right.

> - TYPO3 is Open Source. Why should we force people to by a commercial
>   product instead of helping to promote the (anyway better fitting) Open
>   Source pendant?

I didn't ask to force someone, but to give freedom to use what is
available...

>> As long as kids want to fight this war, I say good bye to documentation.
>
> Who's doing so?

Pls. read the thread again. Several times I was asked just to install OO,
not respecting that I said I cannot.

> Actually it's YOU who should realize that it is a technical problem!

I have no problem to accept this, but YOU in this article are the first one
who mentiones this, but also you seem to think for documentation on
typo3.org.

You can see that the thread was about the _WIKI_! And the question that may
be acceptable too is, whether XML can be imported into the _WIKI_. As far
as I remember I never mentioned other documentation than _WIKI_.

> But yes, I like this situation since it has a nice side-effect to
> bring more people in touch with OpenOffice.org...

I was in touch with OO since the first public release, so that isn't the
point. I agree that this is a nice side effect for people who do not have
an office package yet. But it is a drawback if it restricts people from
contributing, isn't it? But that's again about Typo3.org, not the WIKI.

> In the little case that there is simply no possibility to bring OOo at your
> company notebook, I suggest that you work on the Wiki in the meantime.

What was my intention to write in the thread "Ich habe angefangen mit dem
Wiki zu testen". ;-) Sounds sensable, doesn't it.

--
Mfg Matthias