[Typo3-documentation] Installation Docs [was: german tutorial for installing typo3 3.6.1 onsuse 9.1]

Peter Kindström peter289 at telia.com
Thu Jun 24 19:06:51 CEST 2004

Hi all!
I dont think we have to decide on the one/many installation
documents issue right now!

Why dont we let Jean-Marie write the installation doc his own
way on the wiki and when its ready (enough) we can discuss? I
myself want to see what he comes up with before I decide...

At first I also suggested a few separate documents rather than
one big. But now I am absolutly confident that Jean-Marie are
able to make one document and still get it easy to read, use and
adapt to the installers skills and different OS.

> What I mean are parts like this:
> - Install Tool in general
> - how to optimise the gfx settings
> - how to enable mod_rewrite (for simulateStaticDocuments)
> - symlink strategy (plus a hint why this is not possible on Windows)

IMHO the first and last should be part of the main installation
document. But the second and third I would like to see in a
Typo3 Advanced Installation document (together with lots of
other "special" Typo3 tweeks, optimises and configuring.)

> As you see, this is mostly generic, some small parts are still specific for
> a distribution or for a specific operating system. But these are just small
> exceptions...

And I think Jean-Maries wiki structure take care of that
general/specific issue brilliant! The main page shows the main
road of installation and if you need more/specific information -
click a link. Why didn´t I come up with that idea myself...  ;-)

IMHO I think we should write an installation manual for the
packages, NOT for different package installers (like the Debian
one discussed here)!

/Peter Kindström